Monday, January 21, 2013

Remembering Martin Luther King Jr.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this special holiday and took time to remember Martin Luther King Jr. We talked about Martin Luther King Jr. and his contributions to our country on Friday. I read the students some books about him and we watched a little picture book on video. We wrote about what our dream would be. I also told them about how I wasn't born until June of 1968 and that he was killed in April of that year before I was born. My daddy was in the National Guard and he along with my father in law and others in our local guard units sent their soldiers to Memphis to help maintain peace immediately after the shooting. There were riots and it was a very serious situation. We live in Huntingdon, TN which is about 100 miles from Memphis and the students have heard of Memphis even if they have not been there. 
After discussing all the good things that Martin Luther King Jr. did and stood for and how he was shot and killed, one little boy came up to me and buried his head in my side and started crying. He said "Martin Luther King was such a good man. I wish they didn't shoot him." What a precious thing for a little one to think and say. 
My new blog design is in the final stages. I previewed some of the graphics and they are so CUTE!!!
Tara West, one of the bloggers I follow, of www.littlemindsatwork.blogspot.com is running a sale on her tpt products until midnight tonight. She and her hubby took a weekend trip to Viva Las Vegas so her sale is in honor of her getaway. :) I met Tara at Vegas this past summer and even though we didn't get to spend a lot of time together I clicked with her. I also really like her creations for the classroom. Go over to tpt and check them out!
We did get out of school this past Tuesday at lunch and all day on Wednesday for some icy conditions. Not the snow that we wanted but oh well we still have time for that!
I hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment